Wednesday, May 27, 2015

The Soporific Mrs. Dalloway

Mrs. Dalloway by Virginia Woolf... a classic or so I've been told.  The dude who wrote The Hours raved about it on the back cover... all this about being the first novel to split the atom and such.  I was bored out of my mind.  I had to force myself to finish.  So maybe I just feel about this novel (I haven't read anything else by Virginia Woolf so I can't say it about her in general) as I feel about Andy Warhol.  I can appreciate that she did something new - just like I can appreciate that Andy Warhol was a pioneer - but that doesn't make me enjoy the experience.
There was one line I liked though, "A lady is known by her shoes and her gloves."  I rarely wear either so I'm not sure what that says about me, but it was the only line I actually remember from the novel.
I did have some pretty interesting tea with the book - Pumpkin Spice Chai from The Tea Spot (my favorite tea source).  It isn't one of my favorites, but the sample was a nice, tasty surprise!

8 comments:

  1. I LOVE this "Ugh, whatever!" review!! Like, the tea got more of a reaction than the book. We need more reviews like this one (except for any of my books.)
    I never got Andy Warhol's appeal, either. I mean, I can do that - take existing photos of people and things and make them all groovy colors; I can even do it with my phone!
    I'm sorry for not reading this one, I became engrossed in The School for Good and Evil by Soman Chainani. It's a series about these two girls who are abducted to a school where they will train to become fairy tales. One must be the princess and one the witch and it's about them sort of shirking those tropes for friendship. It's actually pretty good and fun - I've been needing more action for my ADD-riddled brain of late. And this provided it. Of course it's a series, I devoured books 1 and 2 (yay, for starting in the right order this time!) and have to wait for the third & final book in July.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I always forget to use the dumb reply button and just comment in response to yours... oh well.

      Delete
  2. oooh, that sounds awesome! I may have to read those! I'll probably wait until July so I can just get all of them at once though. I almost didn't finish this one - I could generally read a couple of pages before it knocked me out so I had to only read during the day and sitting up.
    Let's bring on the next book!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, yay! Next book is Ready Player One. It's pretty short, but apparently also the start of a series. Sharif read it and liked it - he said it was different. And apparently The School For Good and Evil is getting a movie, because of course.

      Delete
    2. Great! I already have Ready Player One - I'm finishing up an odd book now, but then will start it. Are you sure it's the first book in the series? I don't want a Tiffany Aching repeat...

      Delete
  3. UGH preach. I really had every intention of finishing this book. But not only is it ridiculously dull, but jesus, Virginia, use some punctuation. I haven't seen such long sentences since I did editing for the high school literary magazine. GAH. Thank you for stepping up and posting on this one. And I'm glad I wasn't the only one who didn't make it through!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for finally reading/commenting!! And yeah... I barely did. It was a tough one.

      Delete